Natural Treatment for Migraines & Headaches
Natural Migraine Treatment
Do you suffer from migraine or headache pain that ruins your day-to-day activities?
Have you tried conventional medications and find them to be not as effective as you wish?
Are you looking for a natural headache cure to overcome them naturally?
The Cura clinic help reduce the severity and frequency of headaches and migraines naturally. With modern technology pathology testing and traditional methods, patients commonly find relief by working on the causes.
Migraine headaches are considered to be vasomotor or vascular headaches. More simply put, this means a headache bought on by changes in blood flow around the brain and neck. But recent research (Nardone, 2008) shows there are abnormalities occurring in the brain stem around the Trigemino-Cervical complex as well as inflammation of the meninges (a membrane which covers the brain and spinal cord).
This suggests that traditional anti-inflammatory herbal medicine as well as personalised naturopathic treatment has significant potential for the treatment of migraines.
Is Magnesium helpful for Migraines?As the name suggests cervical migraines are migraine headaches that are triggered by dysfunction in the neck joints and muscles. The difference between migraine suffers and those with cervical migraine syndrome is that in between migraine attacks patients with cervical migraine syndrome will experience dysfunction in the muscles and joints around the neck and head. This results in pain around the base of the skull and in the neck. It is thought that the stiff joints and muscle spasm in the neck may act as possible triggers for the vascular migraine headache. Quite often these patients are deficient in nutrients which are used in high amounts in the muscular skeletal system such as calcium and magnesium.
Although sometimes magnesium for migraines may help, it is often just the tip of the iceberg. There is more going on that just one nutrient deficiency. It is recommended that a patient finds out why they are deficient in it as well as find out other contributing factors causing migraines.
Migraine Diet Advice
- Canola Oil, Margarine, and heated unsaturated oils (eg. cooked olive oil)
- MSG (Monosodium Glutamate), Aspartame, Salt
- Nitrite and other preservatives, flavours, colours and additives
- Beer, Red wine, and most alcohols
- Oranges, Strawberries, Tropical fruits and Night shade vegetables
- Gluten foods
- Food that is high on the Glycemic Index (or GI) scale, such as refined sugars
- Pesticides – buy organic food, fruit and vegetables
- Soy, Cheese, Chocolate, Yoghurt and dairy
- Coffee, Guarana and other energy drinks
- Any meat that is not organic
- Chewing gum (especially aspartame)
- Cooking with teflon coated cookware
- Drinking out of plastic bottles
Natural Medicine For Headache Cures
The following nutritional supplements and herbal remedies are often prescribed in migraines. Only some of these recommended for each patient and there is never a generic prescription as the patient is always an individual.
- Homeopathic medicine constitutional remedy
- Personal herbal medicine blend to support nervous system, digestion and blood flow to head
- Nutritional powders for fast absorption (magnesium, malic acid and other combinations)
- Vitamin D to interact with calcium
- Herbal teas such as Chamomile, peppermint and Dandelion
- Magnesium and calcium, once identified on a hair tissue mineral analysis test
- MTHFR gene testing to support the correct biochemical pathways
The primary modalities that Shannon practices are naturopathy, nutrition and herbal medicine, and for short-term therapy he does rely heavily upon dietary restriction/food substitution to help alleviate the headache pain quickly. In the longer-term he recommends further pathology investigations in order to optimise an individual’s chance of achieving a long-term cure for migraines and cluster headaches.
Shannon is a strong believer in a holistic approach to healing and recommends several other natural healing modalities and alternative therapies for the treatment and alleviation of migraine headaches, especially massage and other complimentary therapies.
All of these therapies are available from practitioners in major centres of Australia, such as the Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville, Adelaide, Canberra, Perth and Hobart
Natural Remedies for Migraines
The follow are some recommendations to assist with limiting migraine headaches :
- Identify food allergies with an IgG93 food panel
- Use a mobile phone anti-radiation device
- Use a computer monitor anti-radiation & anti-glare screen
- Assess home for environmental contributing factors such as molds
- Use a good quality water filter
- Use Peppermint oil, Basil oil and other essential oils to alleviate the pain of migraine
- Limit or eliminate coffee, alcohol and strong spices
Functional Pathology Testing For Migraines
The following tests may be useful for determining the underlying causes of migraines:
- Intestinal Permeability / Leaky Gut
- Test for the MTHFR gene mutation
- IgG Food Allergy blood test
- Functional Liver Detoxification Profile
- Salivary Secretory IgA test
- Antioxidant Status