Natural Treatment for Heartburn
Cause of Heartburn and Natural Treatment
Burning in the throat, constant burping or stomach pain is far from fun.
For fast relief, naturally contact the Cura Clinic or make an appointment now.
Are you suffering from GORD? Herbal medicine & nutritional treatment can be very effective when prescribed correctly. It is important to establish the underlying causes, such as small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), H. Plyori infection, reduced stomach acids or other contributing factors.
Common Complications of Heartburn
GORD (Heartburn or reflux) gives rise to a number of symptoms such as heartburn, regurgitation, swallowing difficulty, coughing, water-brash, hoarseness and/ or chest pain. Belching, a sensation of fullness, non-specific nausea and queasiness are often associated symptoms.
A great deal of patients are prescribed proton-pump inhibitors by doctors without considering the underlying cause. If the underlying causes are identified and removed, then often there is no need for the pharmaceutical medication.
- Inflammed throat
- Narrowing of the throat passage
- oesophageal adenocarcinoma (cancer)
- Increased risk factors of developing adenocarcinoma are associated with males, obesity and smoking.
Essential Must-Do Heartburn Remedies
Smaller meals can empty from your stomach quickly and have less chance of moving up the oesophagus.
Give your stomach time to digest your meal completely before lying down or bending over. Raising the bed head may be beneficial.
Some foods have been shown to aggravate the sphincter function. Avoid chocolate, caffeinated products, spicy foods, alcohol, fatty foods, citruses, tomato based food and juices
Low intake has been associated with greater risk of heartburn
- An increased intake of foods rich in A, C and E help heal the throat lining and are antioxidant to the mucous lining.
- Reducing animal fat consumption aids the reduction of blood triglycerides and cholesterol
- Consider probiotics – Probiotic intake may assist with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth which has been associated with increased incidence of heartburn and GORD
Test for Bacterial overgrowth or Parasites
Often patients have an underlying infection that can be treated naturally with herbs and nutritional medicine. Once the organisms are removed naturally and a balance is replaced in the internal flora, the heartburn and GORD symptoms are gone! Interested in getting tested with a detailed stool test? Learn more about parasite testing and investigative pathology testing.
Preventable Lifestyle Factors
- Underlying Parasite or fungal infection
- Alcohol, sweets, or white bread
- Excess weight
- Excessive fat consumption
- Bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine (SIBO)
Reduce Cigarette Smoking
Smoking damages and irritates the throat lining. Excessive irritation causes physical changes in the throat cells giving rise to an increased risk of scarring and pathological changes. Smoking also contributes to insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes), hypertension, an increased heart rate as well as lowering the ‘good’ (HDL) cholesterol.
Call the Quitline in Australia on 131 848 or seek helpful advice from your practitioner.
For healthy men and women, drinking no more than two standard drinks on any day reduces your risk of harm from alcohol-related disease or injury over a lifetime. The health risks that accumulate over a lifetime from alcohol increase progressively – this means that the more you drink, the greater the risk.
In addition to contributing to GORD, drinking alcohol can affect your liver or cause brain damage, heart disease, high blood pressure and increases your risk of many cancers.
Common Natural Therapies for Reflux
The following natural therapy medicines are often prescribed for GORD and heartburn. It is important to note that only one or a few are prescribed at one time. Each patient is an individual and therefore a naturopathic treatment must reflect that in the treatment strategy.
- Homeopathic remedies
- Personal herbal medicine prescription
- Liver herbs to promote bile and digestive secretions
- Therapeutic dosage of probiotics
- HCl capsules to assist digestion
- Celloid – PPMP, MP, SCF
- Cura blend organic herbal tea
- Garlic, Tumeric
- SB Saccryomyces boulvarii
- Therapeutic Zinc
For further help from a natural therapy practitioner, get in touch or make an appointment.